Skip to Content

Category Archives: Facebook

The missing clauses in Google’s “Customer Match”

Written on October 20, 2015 at 8:51 pm, by

In September Google announced “Customer Match”, a new tool for advertisers to target their existing customer using their email addresses. “Customer match” is almost like Facebook’s “Custom Audiences” but Google and Facebook seem engaged in “a privacy race to the bottom” and Google may have taken the lead. Targeting email addresses Advertisers aim at targeting […]

Facebook may violate the FTC settlement in a few days

Written on November 9, 2013 at 1:07 pm, by

Update: Facebook started to show the announced prompt and ask for user consent. Almost a year after it removed the option for 90% of its members, Facebook informed on Wednesday the remaining 10% that they’ll remove the “Who can search my timeline by name”  setting in a few days. Removing this setting si likely a […]

Your hidden friends, betrayed by their like

Written on September 25, 2013 at 6:50 am, by

Graph Search as a privacy tool According to Facebook, Graph Search not only helps people finding information about their friends, it also helps them to know what information they reveal about themself. I find this objective questionable especially in France where many people are still not aware that Graph Search even exist [1] and yet […]

Facebook Graph Search: Showing what is not Shared

Written on January 31, 2013 at 9:46 pm, by

When Facebook announced Graph Search, they emphasized that they designed it with privacy in mind and yet made two different statements. First, M. Zuckerberg said that it’ll give access only to « things that people have shared with you »   while T. Stocky said that «[you] can only search for what [you] can already see on Facebook». […]